The scientific research team at PROteINSECT wants YOUR views on using insect protein in animal feed.
The idea of insects as an alternative source of protein is becoming more globally appealing and is now on the agenda of many European authorities. With EU legislation likely to change, it can only be a matter of time before insects are commonly used for feeding animals in countries across the world.
You can make your views on this thought-provoking topic count, simply by completing the short survey at http://svy.mk/1d5Sabh. The survey can be completed in English, French or German.
But hurry – the survey closes on 31st March, so this is your last chance to have your say!
Results of the survey will be presented at the Insects to Feed the World Conference (May 14 - 17 2014 in Wageningen, the Netherlands) and will support the future direction of the PROteINSECT project, which is evaluating insects as a novel source of protein for animal feed, whilst ensuring that methodologies are sustainable and economically viable.
Elaine Fitches, PROteINSECT Co-ordinator at Fera (The Food & Environment Research Agency) (UK), says: “The views of the public about the production and use of insect protein for animal feed are of great interest to the project and I would urge everyone to complete the survey. It won’t take long - and it will make a difference!”
Media information contact
Kate Viggers/Rhonda Smith - Minerva UK - +44(0)1264-326427 - +44(0)7887-714957 email@example.com
Interviews available with Elaine Fitches, PROteINSECT Co-ordinator/FERA
Notes for Editors:
1. PROteINSECT survey on production and use of insect protein for animal feed can be accessed here http://www.proteinsect.eu/index.php?id=2
2. PROteINSECT’s summary report on current European legislation concerning insect protein and animal feed is available to view and download from the project website http://www.proteinsect.eu/index.php?id=3
3. Partners in the PROteINSECT project are:
- FERA - Food & Environment Research Agency, UK Tel +44-1904-462564 Dr. Elaine FITCHES - Coordinator, expertise in entomology and food safety
- CAB International UK - Expertise in entomology
- Nutrition Sciences NV Belgium - Global producer of feed concepts and functional feed ingredients (FFIs)
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Belgium - Expertise in Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- Minerva Communications Ltd, UK - Expertise in Food Policy and Science Communication
- Eutema Technology Management GmbH & Co KG Austria - Expertise in Science Communication
- Grantbait Ltd UK - Maggot Farmer
- Guangdong Entomology Institute China -Expertise in Entomology, especially rearing of insects
- Huazhong Agricultural University China -Expertise in Entomology, expertise in fly rearing and prepupae collection
- Fish for Africa - Ghana Limited by Guarantee Ghana -NGO promoting sustainable Aquaculture in Africa
- Institut D'Economie Rurale Mali - Expertise in sustainable Agriculture in Africa
- The University of Stirling UK - Expertise in Entomology and Fish feeding trials