PROteINSECT is an EC-funded project evaluating insects as a novel source of protein for animal feed whilst ensuring that methodologies are sustainable and economically viable.
The article, written by Project Co-ordinator Elaine Fitches of FERA (Food & Environment Research Agency) and Rosie Pryor of project partner Minerva, provides a detailed overview of PROteINSECT and its main objectives, covering topics such as sustainable insect production methods, quality and safety of insect extracts and protein processing technologies.
It also highlights the work PROteINSECT is doing to encourage a positive and receptive platform in Europe for the use of insects in animal feed in the short term and for direct consumption by humans in the longer term.
Elaine says: “We’re really grateful to the Royal Entomological Society for featuring PROteINSECT in their prominent and respected publication. I hope the article will encourage Antenna readers to visit the PROteINSECT website, where they can complete a short survey about our work.”
The survey closes on 11th April and results will be presented at the Insects to Feed the World Conference (May 14-17 2014 in Wageningen, the Netherlands).
“The results will influence the future direction of the PROteINSECT project, so it’s important as many people as possible make their views known,” says Elaine.
A video about the work of PROteINSECT has recently been produced and released by CommNet, revealing that insect protein in animal feed improves the health and quality of chickens.
Media information contact:
Kate Viggers/Rhonda Smith - Minerva UK - +44(0)1264-326427 - +44(0)7887-714957 email@example.com Interviews available with Elaine Fitches, PROteINSECT Co-ordinator/FERA
Notes for Editors:
- PROteINSECT survey on production and use of insect protein for animal feed can be accessed here http://www.proteinsect.eu/index.php?id=2
- PROteINSECT’s summary report on current European legislation concerning insect protein and animal feed is available to view and download from the project website http://www.proteinsect.eu/index.php?id=3
- Partners in the PROteINSECT project are:
- FERA - Food & Environment Research Agency, UK Tel +44-1904-462564 Dr. Elaine FITCHES - Coordinator, expertise in entomology and food safety
- CAB International UK - Expertise in entomology
- Nutrition Sciences NV Belgium -Global producer of feed concepts and functional feed ingredients (FFIs)
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Belgium - Expertise in Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- Minerva Communications Ltd, UK - Expertise in Food Policy and Science Communication
- Eutema Technology Management GmbH & Co KG Austria - Expertise in Science Communication
- Grantbait Ltd UK - Maggot Farmer
- Guangdong Entomology Institute China -Expertise in Entomology, especially rearing of insects
- Huazhong Agricultural University China -Expertise in Entomology, expertise in fly rearing and prepupae collection
- Fish for Africa - Ghana Limited by Guarantee Ghana -NGO promoting sustainable Aquaculture in Africa
- Institut D'Economie Rurale Mali - Expertise in sustainable Agriculture in Africa
- The University of Stirling UK - Expertise in Entomology and Fish feeding trials